Have you ever seriously thought about living your dream? We did and now we are full time cruisers onboard M/V Big Run. Everyday is a new page to be written in our ship's log as we travel to new places and revisit some ol' favorites. Come along and share our experiences and journeys.

Comments to postings are welcomed. We have elected to moderate all comments before the comment is published, so be patient, you comment will be posted.


Welcome to our Adventure

Monday, July 4, 2011

Wind Blown Anchorages

     Happy 4th of July to all of our families and friends.  We have been "stuck" here on the Little Choptank River for 10 days.  When Sharon and I find an anchorage we like, we tend to overstay our welcome.  Well, nobody is kicking us out, but when we pull the anchor I am sure the barnacles will have taken up residence on our anchor and chain.  Speaking of anchors, it happened again just the other night.  Another boat dragged its anchor.  Sharon and I had been monitoring the weather with internet radar and while being on watch in the pilothouse.  On one of my trips up to the pilothouse to check on the approaching storm, I noticed the only other boat in our anchorage was moving.  I made a comment to Sharon, and she agreed that she thought the other boat was moving.  We watched the boat for a while and decided that it was dragging its hook, and the souls onboard were down below sound asleep.  After watching the boat for what seemed a long time, I decided to sound the danger signal with our ship's horn, 5 blasts of the horn.  We waited a minute but did not see any movement on deck.  Again I sounded the horn 5 times with each blast longer in duration than my first alarm. We doubt they heard the alarm because they were to our stern and our horns project the sound to our bow.  Once again we failed to see any movement on deck.  Next, I tried our roof mounted spotlight thinking they would be alarmed by the light shining on and in the boat.  By the time I got the light trained on the boat we noticed movement on the pulpit and I immediately turned off the spotlight.  Finally, the couple were on deck trying to regain control of their boat before they ran aground.  They saved the boat, pulled up anchor and motored to another anchorage in the dark.  I estimated that they dragged the hook for over 2,000 feet before we saw them on deck.  We like wide open anchorages, and this one is bigger than Comegys Bight on the Chester River.  I guess I now know why anyone seldom anchors with us in these spacious, wind blown anchorages.

No comments:

Copyright 2007 and Every Year Thereafter.

All Rights Reserved Including Photo Images and Text.

In Other words - You May Not Use it, Copy it or Steal it!